Friday 28 March 2014

THE DAIRY: second week as intern

PLACEMENT DIARY: SECOND WEEK 24/03/2014

After the mad rush of the first week getting everything sorted for the DNCC (chamber of commerce) e-business conference event, I thought the week would start of a little slow, however I was wrong- there was still some work to do on the design work and ensuring the proofs were signed off ready for print. The beginning of the week was mostly spent liaising between the clients, Shaun and the printers. Although on an extremely strict time plan, I had to negotiate with the printers to delay a day whilst the last bits off copy was sent in and proofs were finalized. This was quite a frustrating process- there was a lot of emails sent asking for changes to the artwork, this meant that myself and Shaun ( the designer ) spent hours amending to ensure the client was 100% happy with the product. As Nigel the MD was scheduled in for business meetings on the Monday and Tuesday it was really my responsibility to ensure everything was complete and with the printers. As 5 o'clock hit on Tuesday everything had been sent to the printers and completed ready for the event on Friday which I was to attend (huge sigh of relief). I received positive feedback from all the team members on the Dairy and felt that I was integral to the success of the project- definitely a feeling of achievement to overview and contribute to the project from start to finish.

The second half of the week was spent concentrating on Camloc which is a manufacturer of gas springs- which have been working with The Dairy for just over three years. Nigel gave me the opportunity the meet Andy Hubbard, the marketing manager to help work on his marketing communication plan for 2015. This was hugely insightful for me to overview the time plans which are used to guide the marketing communication objectives within the company- taking into consideration workload and budget. I was asked to spend some time working on amending the plans to reflect the changes made in the meeting, so that the account manager and client could clearly see their progress and remanding marketing budget for the year.

During the week Notts TV- a new local TV channel came into the Dairy for a meeting to discuss their exciting new advertising prospects for local businesses. Notts TV has been awarded a 12 year licence to broadcast a TV channel on Freeview Channel 8 – launching in May 2014 with the vision to produce high quality content relevant to local audiences. As the Dairy is a creative marketing agency it is important to remain up-to-date with the vast number of advertising channels available for it's clients and as Notts TV is a brand new opportunity for advertising it is more relevant as ever.

On Friday (my last day) I attended the DNCC's Ebiz Conference which was what I spent most of my time working on throughout my placement. The event was held at the Nottingham Belfry and was packed full of members of the commerce exhibiting their services for attendees- it was a fantastic event with some great speakers from the industry covering social media to SEO. It was the perfect way to round-up my first industry experience - networking with other businesses and individuals in the industry.


Nigel at the EBizConf
Seeing first hand how a busy creative agency works on a day to day basis has helped to develop many of my marketing skill-set further, whilst meeting/networking with some great people. It's been a fantastic start to my journey into industry and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next few months has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment